Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sunday Scallops Revisited

Melissa is really good about using up the leftover ingredients from previous dinners, and this time around I made her job quite easy by buying way too many sea scallops when she sent me to the grocery store last Saturday. The seafood guy said I should have 1/2 pound per person, even though I told him there would be a risotto base for the dish. I talked him down to 2 pounds total, but it still felt like way too much food to me. Sure enough, Melissa only needed one pound for five of us. I am a terrible judge of these things.




Despite my aspirations with regard to lab work on Sunday afternoon, I got sucked into a marathon of LOST episodes (second season, available online) and spent a rare Sunday watching television with Melissa. For dinner, she pulled out the rest of the scallops she had frozen and served them on a salad of arugula, pear and walnuts topped with the remaining enoki mushrooms (aren't they cute?). This time she lightly coated the scallops with flour, salt and pepper before pan-frying them in olive oil to give them a nice crust. We had a bottle of Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc (2007, Marlborough, NZ) to pair with this dish as we pondered the significance of the numbers 4, 8 , 15, 16, 23, and 42 in the ongoing plot of LOST...

No comments: